Custom Aluminum Injection Molds
Bridge tooling – Pilot runs
Functional testing and prototyping
Low-volume injection molding
Aluminum Injection Mold Making Service
The aluminum injection mold is a low-cost tool that shortens the manufacturing time, so it is very flexible in mold manufacturing and plastic injection molding production. Since it is a method of simplifying mold structure, the aluminum mold is often referred to as rapid mold or test mold. Aluminum injection mold is often used in low volume injection molding production, often in the field of rapid injection molding.
As you know, CNC manufacturing prototypes are the most important method used to verify products in the product development process, and steel molds are the most economical way to mass production of plastic products. Because of its lower cost and shorter production cycle than steel molds, and the mass injection output can reach 100-10,000 pieces, aluminum injection molds have become an important means of product development and rapid manufacturing.
As one of the reliable aluminum injection mold makers, We will provide you with a complete one-stop service from design to the final product. if you have any projects, you are welcome to contact Sungplastic for a free quote.
Use Aluminum Molds for Low Volume Manufacturing. WHY？
If your demand for the number of parts will not reach millions, or if you need to produce parts on-demand within a few days, and if you want to avoid high-risk mold investments before the part design is truly verified, then use aluminum molds for small batch Injection molding may be a good choice. Once the aluminum injection mold is ready, injection molding production begins almost immediately. This allows each order to be manufactured in three weeks or less.
- 1. Simplified mold design reduces mold structure, saving manufacturing time and cost.
- 2. Improve heat dissipation, no need to use messy cooling lines.
- 3. Mold production and parts manufacturing are completed in 15 days or less.
- 4. The mold manufacturing cost is low, ranging from a few hundred to 2,000 US dollars.
- 5. Single cavity and multi-cavity molds: According to the size and complexity of the parts, 1-cavity, 2-cavity, 4-cavity and 8-cavity molds can be used.
- 6. Thermoplastic and thermosetting materials are the same as materials for mass production. More than 100 different materials can be used, including ABS, PC, PP, PE, POM and silicone rubber.
- 7. The production quantity does not exceed 10,000 parts. For more quantity requirements, steel molds can be considered.
Process of Making Aluminum Injection Mold
The thermoplastic and thermoset materials used in plastic molding production are the same as the mass-produced materials. More than 100 different materials can be used, including ABS, PC, PP, PE, POM and silicone rubber.
In the past few decades, the pressure to shorten the cycle time of manufacturing molds and molded parts has raised the level of the mold industry to a new level. Under the right conditions, aluminum injection molds have also become an excellent choice for long-term production.
Compare Aluminum Injection Mold vs Steel Mold
Aluminum injection molds are very suitable for small batch production. Compared with traditional metal molds, they provide a cost-effective solution with a shorter lead time. For aluminum molds, we are usually 30-50% cheaper than producing injection molds. Compared with steel injection molds, the lead time is shortened by 40-60%.
Advantages of aluminum injection molds:
- The processing time of aluminum molds is much shorter than that of plastic injection molds. For example, the cutting speed is faster than steel, and the cooling speed is 5 times faster than P20 steel.
- The processing cost of aluminum molds is much lower than traditional molds. A shorter processing time leads to more savings in processing costs.
Challenges of aluminum molds:
- The mold life is shorter than the steel mold life.
- The total number of products that can be produced is much smaller.
- The tolerance is wider than traditional tools.
On-demand manufacturing, select the appropriate mold type.
- Rapid aluminum injection mold, suitable for products with less than 10,000 times.
- The P20 prototype mold is suitable for products that are more than 50,000 times.
- NAK80 or S136 molds are suitable for products up to 100,000 times or more.
Aluminum injection molds Can Make Complex Parts?
It is important to note that this limitation is common to all mold makers. Therefore, the use of steel molds is imperative for molding complex parts.
Surface Finish Options
Steel molds provide greater flexibility for surface finishes, as the high-density nature of steel allows for a wider range of texture options. Steel inserts can be added to achieve custom, tall, or deep details in the tooling. Conversely, the number of possible surface finishes with an aluminum mold is limited, and custom finishes are not available. This discrepancy is due to the mold material, and is a universal limitation affecting all mold makers.
Ease of Modifications – Steel Molds vs Aluminum Molds
Defects of the Final Plastic Parts – Less Flash with Steel Molds
Steel Molds Can Handle Aggressive Materials
Durability – Steel Molds vs Aluminum Molds
Find More Capacities about Sungplastic
Steel Mold Building
Injection Molding Mass Production
Get a free quote and design analysis today.
We’ll reply to you within 6 working hours.
We respect your privacy.
+86 139 2927 4777 (WhatsApp, Wechat)
Related Aluminum Mold Resources