Overmolding and Insert Molding
Overmolding & Insert Molding Services
With overmolding and insert molding, we can re-inject plastic parts or metal parts to get products with a better appearance and functionality. By choosing the right material, the overmolding process can change the part performance or the surface of the product part, so that the product has different strengths, flexibility and durability.
What is overmolding?
Overmolding is a versatile production process that can be used to produce parts of many different compositions. Thermoplastic elastomers are usually compounded with a rigid matrix, thereby improving the surface appearance of the product, increasing the functionality and added value of the product, such as noise reduction, shock absorption, waterproofing, anti-collision, anti-skid, comfort, etc.
In many cases, overmolding can be used to produce products with rigid structures and flexible surfaces, such as power tools, hand tools, telephones, pagers, computer peripherals, personal care products, and toys for consumer goods industry.
What is insert molding?
Insert molding is a similar process but instead uses a preformed part—often metal—that is loaded into a mold where it is then overmolded with a thermoplastic resin to create a final component. When the run is complete, parts are boxed and shipped shortly thereafter.
What are the benefits of overmolding?
In the past few decades, overmolding technology has gradually developed into an important molding method for manufacturing high-quality and durable products. In addition, it is also an important factor in reducing labor and assembly costs and reducing overall production costs. Here are seven key advantages of overmolding design:
- Overmolded parts have higher strength and structure.
- Increase design flexibility and easy use of multiple materials/resins through injection molding technology.
- Eliminate the bonding step in the manufacturing process.
- Overmolded parts have better adhesion and can better resist pressure shocks.
- Present more shapes, styles, and color options, increasing the added value of products.
- Reduce assembly and labor costs.
- Faster productivity can be achieved through multiple materials.
What is overmolding used for?
With the improvement of people’s living standards, people’s aesthetics are also changing. The quality of life is getting higher and higher, and the application of overmolding has received more and more attention and attention.
Overmolded parts are used in a wide variety of industries. Some common applications include: plastic or metal parts with soft grips, medical devices, appliance knobs, window trim, encapsulated electronics, electrical components, controls, automotive parts, tool handles, composite suction cups, medical teethers, electronic products, mobile phone protective covers, personal care products and game products, etc.
Cooperation steps with Sungplastic
Sungplastic offers free quotations and evaluation services, please contact us.
- Send us your relevant mold and part drawings. Define your requirements.
- Our project manager will fully communicate with you and confirm every link.
- After confirming the order, we start to design and manufacture overmold tooling as required.
- After the mold is finished, get the sample and provide it to you.
- The sample is confirmed by you and we start mass production.
- Delivery, project complete.
Find More Capacities about Sungplastic
CNC machining service
Get a free quote and design analysis today.
We’ll reply you within 6 working hours.
We respect your privacy.
+86 139 2927 4777 (WhatsApp, Wechat)